As we are learning Computer Graphics, so we must know what are the applications of Computer Graphics.
The usage of computer graphics is very common. It is utilized in a variety of settings, including industry, business, government, education, entertainment, and, most recently, the home. Let’s take a quick look at some of the most common applications of computer graphics.
- User Interfaces: The ease of use of any system is one of the most important elements influencing its success and popularity. It is now widely accepted that graphical interfaces enable humans and computers to communicate in an appealing and simple manner. Built-in graphics in user interfaces employ visual control elements such as buttons, menus, icons, scroll bars, and so on, allowing users to interact with computers only through mouse clicks. Typing is only required to enter text that will be stored and modified.
- Plotting of graphics and charts: In industry, business, government, and educational organizations, computer graphics is most commonly used to create 2D and 3D graphs of mathematical, physical, and economic functions in form of histograms, bars, and pie-charts. These graphs and charts are very useful for decision-making.
- Office automation and Desktop Publishing: Desktop publishing on personal computers allow the use of graphics for the creation and dissemination of information. Many organizations do the in-house creation and printing of documents. Desktop publishing allows users to create documents that contain text, tables, graphs, and other forms of drawn or scanned images or pictures. This is one approach towards office automation.
- Computer-aided Drafting and Design: Computer-aided drafting uses graphics to design components and systems electrical, mechanical, electromechanical, and electronic devices such as automobile bodies, structures of building, airplane, ships, very large-scale integrated (VLSI) chips, optical systems, and computer networks.
- Simulation and Animation: The use of graphics in simulation makes mathematic models and mechanical systems more realistic and easy to study. The interactive graphics supported by animation software proved their use in the production of animated movies and cartoons films.
- Art and Commerce: There is a lot of development in the tools provided by computer graphics. This allows users to create artistic pictures which express messages and attract attention. Such pictures are very useful in advertising.
- Process Control: By the use of computers now it is possible to control various processes in the industry from a remote control room. In such cases, process systems and processing parameters are shown on the computer with graphic symbols and identifications. This makes it easy for the operator to monitor and control various processing parameters at a time.
- Cartography: Computer graphics is also used to represent geographic maps, weather maps, oceanographic charts, contour maps, population density maps, and so on.